In the following Terms and Conditions the service is explained which is provided to you by Tern-Up. Furthermore it is descibed what we (“Tern-Up”) expect from you as a selected Tern-Up intern (“intern”). All references to ‘we’, ‘us’ and ‘our’ refer to Tern-Up and its cooperation partners. All references to ‘you’ or to “applicant”, “candidate” and “placement” are referring to the intern.
Contact us (via our form or email@example.com) if you have any queries before signing the Terms and Conditions. Signing or accepting these Terms and Conditions is your declaration that you have read, understand, and agree with all of our Terms and Conditions.
These Terms and Conditions begin on the date hereof and expire when replaced by new Terms and Conditions or amendments to individual sections. Tern-Up reserves the right to change these Terms and Conditions when necessary.
Functions and services:
The function of Tern-Up and its cooperation partners is to act in the capacity of a placement agency. Through a managed selection process interns are matched to a suitable and vetted partner start-up overseas.
The Tern-Up platform has just started and is expanding its services. In order to develop the platform, Tern-Up is currently looking for suitable candidates who will be the first participants to do an internship in one or more of the listed start-ups on our website. With the experience gained by the intern during her/his internship the platform and its services will be further developed.
Project application and placement process:
Tern-Up and its cooperation partners reserve the right to select potential interns at their own discretion meaning that Tern-Up and its partner start-ups decide what in their opinion are the best candidates. Submitting an application does not oblige us to offer a place to you. By submitting the application form (especially by clicking the “Tern-Up”-Button) and by signing these Terms and Conditions, we make no guarantee that we will find a placement for you and vice versa, you are not entitled to a placement in an internship.
Service provided by Tern-Up:
Tern-Up is carefully screening your application and is reaching out to its affiliated partner start-ups to match your application to a suitable internship position. We call this process “placement”. If you are successfully placed (the applicant becomes an intern), Tern-Up advises you on the planning, execution and follow-up of your internship. In particular, Tern-Up supports you with information on the following:
- Provision of information relating to the placement.
- Travel planning.
- Organizing arrival and stay in destination country.
- Pre-departure information and visa advice.
- Travel budget (the expenses are average costs drawn from our own personal travel experience in the respective destination country)
IMPORTANT: Tern-Up is not a travel agency. On the current state of development of our platform our service we provide to you is limited to:
- your placement in a suitable internship
- provide you as much information as we can to support you in planning, execution and following-up your internship.
So please note: At this early development-stage we charge no placement fee for a successful placement.
Tern-Up will endeavor to provide as much information about your destination as possible, and this will be information that comes first hand from our travel experience in the respective destination country and from screening the projects on site. So any information given by us about climate, political-, ecological- or economic-conditions, laws, healthcare, vaccinations, visas, flights, accomodation, transport, clothing and other matters is given to the best of our knowledge but without responsibility on our part.
Responsibilities of Intern: Organizing and execution of internship
As aforementioned Tern-Up is not a travel agency. In case of a successful placement the intern is entirely responsible for the organization and execution of the internship on site as well as the necessary pre-arrangements with the partner start-up. In particular, the intern is responsible for the following:
- To be aged at least 21 on the date that the placement begins.
- To meet the language requirements necessary to successfully work and communicate at project site. English is required as the language on site.
- To respect the local customs, culture and rules.
- To get familiar with the destination country and the prevailing political, economic and social environment.
- To take travel advice and learn about travel warnings from her/his respective government facilities. Tern-Up and cooperation partners will not take responsibility for any harm resulting from your lack of taking appropriate travel advice.
- To manage your own travel (financing, visas, flights, transport on site, incorporating personal health issues, accomodation, carrying all necessary documents etc.)
- To be aware of the health risks prevalent in Africa, Asia or in any other host country you are traveling to (medical advice, safety precautions, vaccinations, immunizations, incorporating your own health conditions, allergies, etc.)
- To bring with any necessary medical equipment or medications
- To be aware of poor hygiene conditions on site (avoid drinking tap/unboiled water as water sources are polluted, potential risk of eating foods purchased from roadside vendors). Tern-Up and cooperation partners will not take responsibility for any harm resulting out of such risks.
- To abide to the partner start-ups code of conduct and rules.
- To behave responsibly at all times and to inform her/his contact person in the partner start-up of any absence from duties
- To make all necessary pre-arrangements with the start-up, in which she/he does an internship.
- To take care of a valid visa for the duration of her/his stay.
- To take care of arrival and departure to/from destination country (especially flight booking).
- To take care of accommodation on site.
- To take care of local transport to the site of internship.
- To complete a foreign travel insurance for the duration of her/his stay.
IMPORTANT: Tern-Up provides you with as much information as possible to help you plan and carry out your internship, especially with regard to your above listed responsibilities. Any information given by us about climate, political-, ecological- or economic-conditions, laws, healthcare, vaccinations, visas, flights, accomodation, transport, clothing and other matters is given to the best of our knowledge but without responsibility on our part.
Responsibilities of Intern towards Tern-Up:
Tern-Up supports and accompanies the intern in the organization, execution and follow-up of his internship. In return, the intern agrees to assist Tern-Up in developing its platform with the experiences gathered during her/his internship. This experience exchange can take place in regular (remote) meetings or in written form (for example reports). In this way the intern supports the further development of the platform and contributes to the establishment of an international business network of impact start-ups, founders, former program participants/interns and co-workers worldwide.
Acceptance of risk involved:
Our partner start-ups are located almost entirely in developing countries. Therefore an overseas internship experience with Tern-Up and its cooperations partners involves an element of personal risk. Please make sure you understand and accept the following:
- Conditions in developing countries are characterized by poverty, poor living conditions, political instability, poor medical care, poorly developed transport and communications infrastructure or potential criminal activities.
- Conditions may be basic and at times be unfamiliar, uncomfortable and unhygienic compared to the prevalent standard in your country of residence
- Traveling on site (in whatever form) always involves some degree of risk (luggage theft, buses in bad condition, night driving, taxi scams, etc.) so you need to behave responsibly and wary
So Please be aware that you may experience a cultural shock. If you choose to take part in one of our internships we cannot allow for every potential risk during your stay. Like in your country of residence there are places and situations that are just unpredictable.
Therefore doing an internship in one of our partner start-ups requires a high degree of self-organization, adaptability and flexibility from you. For this reason we have high standards for our interns. If, for any reason whatsoever, we discover that you lack the necessary experience to do an internship in one of our partner start-ups, we reserve the right to refuse the application. This is for the purpose of protecting you, our partners and our organization from potential hazards, risks and harmful situations that may arise during the execution of the internship on site.
IMPORTANT: The intern accepts that there are risks involved in working and traveling abroad and she/he accepts such risks knowingly. The intern understands that Tern-Up is not liable nor able to mitigate any of such circumstances. The aspects outlined in these Terms and Conditions are not adequate reasons for complaints or requests for refunds (in case of previous payments or fees).
Limitation and Risks:
Like other international travel, volunteer or internship programs, participating in Tern-Up and its partner start-ups may involve risks, foreseen and unforeseen, and interns should be prepared to accept those risks. Whilst we aim to safeguard your health and safety with appropriate advice on what is likely to affect you, we cannot be responsible for damage, illness or injury sustained during or resulting from participation in an internship mediated by Tern-Up.
Travel, accident and health Insurances:
It is your responsibility to arrange your own travel, accident and health insurances before you travel and/or intern in the partner start-up. All Tern-Up interns must have third party liability insurance and international health insurance that covers return transport in case of death. Tern-Up and its partners cannot be held responsible for any personal damage or loss you may suffer. It may be possible to extend the duration of cover for travel, accident and healthcare for your stay abroad. Please contact your insurance company for details of benefits.
Tern-Up and its partners do not arrange visas. You are entirely responsible for arranging your visa and extending your visa (including all costs associated therein) and ensuring that it remains valid for the duration of your placement/your stay in the destination country.
Termination of agreement:
Tern-Up and its partner start-ups reserve the right to end the internship agreement with immediate cancellation of your program with no refund (of previous payments or fees) if:
- The start-up where the placement is taking place believes you are not fulfilling your responsibilities and duties or you fail to uphold the responsibilities that you signed up to.
- If your language skills do not meet our project’s requirements to insure a successful internship placement at work level
- You are found to be involved in any illegal activities or convicted of any criminal activities during the period of the volunteer placement.
- You violate any conditions outlined under “Responsibilities of Intern”.
- If you have given us false information within your application.
Declaration of Consent for the Processing of the Interns’ Personal Data:
By signing these Terms and Conditions you give consent for to the processing of your personal data at Tern-Up. We will hold and use your personal data for the purposes of finding you a suitable internship. In this process, we will also pass on your personal data to our partner start-ups. The principle of data economy applies here. We will only pass on as much data to our partners as it takes to find you a suitable internship.
By signing these Terms and Conditions you agree that we also retain and may pass on your personal data to third parties for the following purposes:
- Disclosure of personal data to the intern’s parent / guardian or next of kin in case of an emergency or in any circumstances where we reasonably believe that the intern’s vital interests are threatened.
- Transfer of contact details to fellow interns and partner start-ups.
- Personal data will be maintained in the Tern-Up database allowing the intern to be kept involved with Tern-Up, its partner networks and the global Tern-Up business network.
- Personal data will be maintained in the Tern-Up database for the purpose of assisting the intern in the planning, execution and follow-up of his internship.
- Tern-Up and its partners will retain the interns personal data for the duration of the internship and thereafter as long as may be necessary to deal with any claims or issues arising in relation to the intern (including invoicing); to enforce any terms or contract between Tern-Up, its partners and the intern; to comply with all applicable laws, regulations and orders by any competent authority.
In any other case of processing or passing on your personal data to third parties we will explicitly ask you for your consent.
Please note: Tern-Up and its partners remain solely and fully responsible at all times for ensuring that appropriate security measures, technical, organizational and otherwise, are in place to ensure that the intern’s personal data, including sensitive personal data, is protected.
According to the EUs GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) you have the right at any time to obtain free information about the origin, recipient and purpose of your stored personal data. You also have a right to request the correction or deletion of this data. For this purpose as well as for further questions about data protection you can contact us at any time at the address given in the imprint. Furthermore, you have a right of appeal to the competent supervisory authority.
Applicable Law and Jurisdiction:
These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Germany, and so the intern submits to the jurisdiction of the German courts, although Tern-Up and its partners shall have the right to institute or enforce proceedings in any other court jurisdiction.
Waiver of Liability:
By complying with or signing these Terms and Conditions you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. You agree that Tern-Up and its partner start-ups have limitations and involve some risk (foreseen and unforeseen). You are ready to accept those risks and you hereby release and discharge Tern-Up and its partners and all of its agents, employees, or representatives, including persons, parties, organisations or agencies collaborating with them, from all action suits, claims or liability for damages of any nature resulting from, arising out of, or related to these Terms and Conditions and/or your participation in an internship including, without limitation, claims for personal injury, property damage, deviation, delay, or curtailment.
Entire Agreement and Variation:
These Terms and Conditions constitute the entire understanding and agreement between the parties in relation to the subject matter of these Terms and Conditions. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall be deemed to grant rights or benefits to any other person other than the parties (or their permitted successor or assignees), or entitle any third party to enforce any terms or conditions of these Terms and Conditions. The parties do not intend that any term or condition herein should be enforceable by a third party. In providing the intern with the stated services, Tern-Up and its partners are acting as an independent contractor. Save as explicitly set out in these Terms and Conditions, nothing shall be deemed to create any relationship of agent and principal, partnership, or employer and employee.